The race-tuned Equipe Bib Shorts continue to be the choice of BMC Racing Team riders during the hardest stage races for good reason, leaning on their compressive fit, breathable textiles, and anatomically shaped insert for steadfast comfort and support. The riders’ race-driven feedback is arguably one of the best measures of real-world equipment needs, and for this 2018 iteration we made several updates per their requests.
The first modification takes place along the lower back panel, where we’ve removed the central seam in favor of a single arced panel. Not only does this give us ample real estate for sponsors’ logos, but it also creates a clean compressive wrap along the skin just above the back of the insert.
The second key update to the shorts addresses the elastic leg bands. BMC Racing Team riders told us that during the longest, hottest days, this region of the shorts became noticeably hotter and less breathable than the Type.439 Diadema textile directly above it. Our new team-issue shorts now receive a lighter, more breathable material here, which still provides the same lauded hold along the cuff, courtesy of our calibrated-stretch superFlat grippers.
How to use
The go-to bib shorts for training, long commutes, and races. Pair with the Skinfoil Base Layer, the ASSOS Equipe Jersey, and the Equipe Socks for the full kit. These padded shorts are designed to excel during summer rides. Add the warmth of our Leg Warmers or Knee Warmers to build an outfit suited to spring/fall rides. Applying our antibacterial, anti-friction Chamois Crème prior to riding in these shorts is a must for optimal results.
- S7 generation: The latest generation of ASSOS cycling shorts, employing technology and fabrics engineered over a 5-year period. racingFit: A fit that is tighter and slightly more compressive than our alternative regularFit and comfortFit options. It may feel restrictive out of the riding position but feels like a second skin while riding, resulting in improved comfort and less drag.
- Type.439 Diadema: A textile design created with our fabric suppliers to meet our demands of performance, comfort, and durability. Unique within the industry, the weave has two different rates of 4-way stretch, requiring great expertise to maximize the elasticity of the fabric on the cutting table.
- aeroPatterningFenomeno1 design: Drawing on observations gleaned from our project to create the fastest skinsuit at the 2012 Olympics, this original design involves crafting the garment with a single seam that sits on the rear of your legs, causing the main fabric of the shorts to wrap around your thighs, providing a unique level of comfort and compression.
- Y7 frame carrier bibTech: A bib redesign that involves using a wider cut of elastic for less pressure on your shoulders, resulting in less friction and more comfort.
- équipe_S7 insert: Relying on 8mm of memory foam, this insert is nestled at the intersection between comfort and performance. Central to the fit is the patented elastic insert interface, which was invented by ASSOS and sees the insert move with your body, allowing it to sit in one place to follow your movements, reduce friction, and increase comfort.
- ASSOS waffle: A unique 3-layer foam used in our inserts with perforations that make it light and highly breathable.
- ASSOS goldenGate: A patented technology which augments the performance of the insert by allowing the most fluent movement with the body.
- superFlat grippers: Ultra minimal grippers with optimal stretch return to secure the shorts in place without any excessive pressure.
- iceColor: A fabric treatment that reflects sunlight and thus reduces heat absorption to keep muscles cooler.
- odorControl: An antibacterial treatment that reduces unpleasant odors and improves durability.