For boaters and watersports enthusiasts who want to run with the best, the rugged GPSMAP 78 features crisp colour mapping, high-sensitivity receiver, new moulded rubber side grips, plus a microSD™ card slot for loading additional maps. And it floats!
GPSMAP 78 comes with built-in worldwide basemap, so you can navigate anywhere with ease. And, like the rest of the 78-series, the 78 is IPX7 waterproof and even floats in water.
Keep Your Fix
With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver and HotFix™ satellite prediction, GPSMAP 78 locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and built-up areas. The advantage is clear — whether you’re in dense woodland or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on GPSMAP 78 to help you find your way when you need it the most.
Adding more maps is easy with Garmin's wide array of detailed marine, topographic and road maps, available on microSD card. Conveniently plug in BlueChart® g2 preloaded cards for a great day on the water or City Navigator NT® map data for turn-by-turn routing by road (see maps tab for compatible maps). The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet. GPSMAP 78 also supports BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (subscription required), that lets you download satellite images to your device and integrate them with your maps. In addition, the 78 is compatible with Custom Maps, free Garmin software that transforms your own paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your GPS handheld device.
You've been busy exploring and now you want to store and analyse your activities. With a simple connection to your computer and to the Internet, you can get a detailed analysis of your activities and send tracks to your outdoor device using Garmin Connect™. This one-stop site offers an activity table and allows you to view your activities on a map using Google™ Earth. Explore other routes uploaded by millions of other Garmin Connect users and share your experiences on Twitter® and Facebook®. Getting started is easy, so get out there, explore, and share.
GPSMAP 78 supports geocaching GPX files for downloading geocaches and details straight to your unit. By going paperless, you're not only helping the environment but also improving efficiency. GPSMAP 78 stores and displays key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions, which means no more manually entering coordinates and paper print outs! Simply upload the GPX file to your unit and start hunting for caches. Slim and lightweight, 78 is the perfect companion for all your outdoor pursuits.
In The Box:
- GPSMAP 78
- Wrist strap
- USB cable
- Quickstart Guide
- Physical dimensions: 2.6" x 6.0" x 1.2" (6.6 x 15.2 x 3.0 cm)
- Display size: 1.43" x 2.15" (3.6 x 5.5 cm); 2.6" diag (6.6 cm)
- Display resolution: 160 x 240 pixels
- Display type transflective, 65-K colour TFT
- Weight: 7.7 oz (218.3 g) with batteries
- Battery: 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended
- Battery life: 20 hours
- Water rating: IPX7
- Memory/history: 1.7 GB
- High-sensitivity receiver
- Interface USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
Maps & memory
- Ability to add maps
- Storage and power capacity microSD™ card (not included)
- Waypoints/favourites/locations: 2000
- Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks
- Outdoor recreation features
- Area calculation
- Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads) Yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)
- Geocaching-friendly Yes (Paperless)
- Custom maps compatible
- Hunt/fish calendar
- Sun and moon information
- Picture viewer
- Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyse, categorise and share data)
- This USB mass storage device is compatible with Windows® XP or newer and Mac® OS X 10.4 or later.
Manufacturer's Code: 010-00864-00