The objective was not to make a 100% waterproof jacket. Why not? Because 100% waterproof also means 100% impermeable, and this would be catastrophic if you happen to be in the bike race of your life, in the lead, with two hours still to go. Why? Because, at this level of exertion, body perspiration is very active, and the evaporation process must be proactive. It can’t be slowed excessively by your pro- tective shell. Otherwise, within a fairly short time, you would be in a small private sauna, sweating out all your essential salts and minerals. The result? Crossing the finish line in last place — with cramps.
Instead, the objective was to create the ideal rain jacket for high performance cycling. The challenge was finding and calibrating the optimum balance between insulation and protection, without jeopard- izing your performance, to provide you with a functional, intelligently engineered, cycling-specific anti- rain device that works!
It works in competition; it will work for your training units. So now, in the morning, when you look out of the window and see that it’s not “cosy”, but damp and cold, with more rain on the way... grab your sturmPrinz and have a good ride.
- Main fabric featured is TRITON, a brand new ASSOS Textile Laboratory development specifically engineered for the one and only sturmPrinz cycling-competition-specific rain jacket.
- Elastic shoulder inserts for increased freedom of movement.
- Ventilated upper rear panel.
- “Pocket slots” on the lower rear panel: two cleverly positioned openings over your jersey/jacket pockets. (We are especially proud of this ASSOS innovation.) They serve double duty: as ventilation slots, and to allow you access to your pockets without having to maneuver the jacket.
- Taped seams on front, shoulder and rear panels.
- Rear panel emergency pocket.
- Extended rear panel to protect lower back from road spray and dirt.
- Adjustable fit, elastic “snuggies” around collar and wrists.
racingCut. The sturmPrinz exemplifies the ASSOS competence of tailoring cycling specific, high per- formance apparel, using custom-made, avant-garde fabrics that have been engineered with the sole purpose of performance cycling in mind. Ergonomically shaped to fit your body in the cycling position. Clicks on, then follows your movements. Thanks to the high performance TRITON fabric, ASSOS was able to tailor the jacket closer to the body, resulting in less volume and no “balloon effect,” providing total freedom of movement.
A brand new family of water protection fabrics, TRITON is a custom-made ASSOS Textile Laboratory development specifically engineered for the sturmPrinz cycling-competition-specific rain jacket.
Triton was created specifically to manufacture the ultimate high performance cycling rain-protection jacket. According to our network, this has never ever happened. Fabric development is a long and costly process, with the usual objective being to create a fabric that can be used for a variety of applications, making it more versatile, hence more economical. Not TRITON! The ASSOS require- ments for how our sturmPrinz will perform under wet racing conditions are very different than those needed to create, for example, a rain jacket for walking or fishing.
The sturmPrinz use two versions of TRITON. The front panel features TRITON V1, a robust fabric engineered to be more resistant, and the back panel uses the lighter, more breathable TRITON V2.
TRITON is made in Switzerland in the village next to the ASSOS head office location. It was designed by the ASSOS textile lab to meet the demands of high performance cycling under wet conditions. TRITON is not commercially available; it is made for and used by ASSOS exclusively. Tougher, more water-repellent and cheaper fabrics exist, but are they the best choice for the demanding conditions of competitive cycling? We don’t think so.
- Intelligently engineered, cycling-specific anti-rain device that works!
- The sturmPrinz features 25 pattern pieces, 7 different textiles and 13 components.
- Engineered using the ASSOS cycling-specific science of body-mapping pattern design
- Ergonomically pre-shaped to fit your body in the cycling position.
- Custom-made Triton fabrics, specifically developed for the sturmPrinz and its purpose
- Body Temperature Response Function
- Rear panel ventilation diffusers
- Macroporous side airVent mapping for efficient cooling and evaporation
- “Pocket Slots” for quick access
- Taped seams
- Reflective zippers
- Low volume
- Snuggies, for an adjustable sealant fit
rS.sturmPrinz is the ultimate, racing-specific ASSOS rain jacket. If you ride a lot, all year round, and cannot be bothered if it rains or not, then the sturmPrinz is for you. Yes, a little bit costly, but a strategic master item to complement your wardrobe for a long time to come. In cold winter riding conditions, it can be used as a heavy-duty insulator shell, wearing it over your interactive iJ.tiBuru. Engineered to be a lifetime companion. It’s good to know you have it, just in case.