Handheld satellite communicators with GPS navigation
You may venture off the grid, but you can still stay in touch – as long as you’re carrying an inReach SE+ or inReach Explorer+. These handheld satellite communicators are designed for the outdoor enthusiast who wants to roam farther and experience more – without compromising their loved ones‘ peace of mind. From backcountry experiences to international adventures, inReach provides communication, location sharing, navigation and critical SOS functions for anyone who loves getting away from it all, on land, water or in the skies.
- Rugged handheld satellite communicators enable two-way text messaging via 100% global Iridium® satellite network (satellite subscription required)
- Trigger an interactive SOS message to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring centre
- Track and share your location with family and friends
- Pair with compatible mobile devices using the free Earthmate® app for access to downloadable maps1, colour aerial imagery and more
inReach Explorer+ device adds preloaded DeLorme® TOPOActive
- Europe maps with onscreen GPS routing plus built-in digital compass, barometric altimeter and accelerometer
- At a Glance
Explore anywhere. Communicate globally.
Using the worldwide coverage of the Iridium satellite network, these go-anywhere portable devices let you exchange text messages with any mobile phone number or email address – while using GPS to track and share your journey’s progress. You can also post to social media or even communicate inReach-to-inReach in the field. In case of an at-risk situation, you can also use inReach to trigger an SOS message to the 24/7 monitoring centre, text back and forth about the nature of your emergency and receive confirmation when help is on the way.
No mobile signal? No problem.
inReach SE+ and Explorer+ give you all the tools to stay totally connected. You don’t have to worry about being within range of mobile phone signal – encountering spotty coverage in fringe zones or blackout areas. Your inReach communicator offers two-way messaging via the global Iridium satellite network.
Track and share your whereabouts
Turn on the tracking function of your inReach SE+ or Explorer+ communicator, and let family and friends follow your progress on their computers or mobile devices, using the web-based MapShare® portal. The inReach device will send waypoints at preselected time intervals, so followers can track your whereabouts online. You can also invite your family and friends back home to use MapShare to ping your inReach unit and see your GPS location, track your movements and exchange messages during your trip. You can even embed your MapShare page on a blog, website or social media.
Pair with your mobile device
For even more capability and convenience, the free Earthmate® app syncs your inReach handheld via Bluetooth® with your compatible Apple® or Android™ device so you can access unlimited maps and aerial imagery. Plus, Earthmate allows you to conveniently use all of the inReach features on your paired mobile device. For easier messaging, you can also access your phone’s contact list from the Earthmate app to connect with fewer keystrokes.
Get weather wherever
The optional inReach weather forecast service provides detailed updates directly to your inReach device, compatible smartphone or tablet paired with the Earthmate app, so you’ll know what conditions to expect en route. Basic and premium weather packages are offered. You can request weather forecasts for your current location or any other waypoint or destination on your itinerary.
Who will answer your SOS? GEOS will.
GEOS is the world leader in emergency response solutions and monitoring. They’ve supported rescues in more than 140 countries, saving many lives in the process. And they’re standing by 24/7/365 to respond to your SOS, track your device and notify the proper contacts and emergency responders in your area. Then, while help is on the way, GEOS will continue to text back and forth with you, providing updates and critical information until your situation is resolved.
Which inReach is right for you?
As satellite communicators, both the inReach SE+ and Explorer+ offer identical messaging capabilities. However, it’s on the GPS navigation side that their differences become apparent. While inReach SE+ uses GPS to provide basic grid navigation and allow you to drop waypoints, mark key locations track your progress and follow a breadcrumb trail back to base –the inReach Explorer+ goes a step beyond, providing full-fledged GPS on-map guidance with preloaded TOPOActive Europe mapping and waypoint routings viewable directly on the unit. Plus, a built-in digital compass, barometric altimeter and accelerometer are included with Explorer+ to help you get and maintain accurate bearings on or off the beaten path.
Affordable, flexible satellite airtime plans
To access the Iridium network and communicate with your inReach SE+ or Explorer+ device, an active satellite subscription is required. Depending on your usage level, you can opt for an annual contract package or flexible month-to-month airtime plan.
Unlimited cloud storage and trip planning are included
Every inReach device comes with free access to a cloud-powered Garmin Explore website to plan your trips with routes and waypoints, create preset messages and quick texts, sync and manage your device settings, update your firmware, download additional TOPOActive Europe maps, link your social media accounts, store all your location tracking data and much more.
Built for the rugged backcountry
Tough, durable, impact resistant and water-rated to IPX7, the inReach SE+ and Explorer+ handhelds are built to keep you up and running – no matter what the elements throw at you. An internal, rechargeable lithium battery comes standard on both units so you can count on long battery life in every mode of operation (up to 120 hours at the default 10-minute tracking mode, 30 days at the 30-minute interval power save mode and up to 30 days in standby mode). Recharge via the standard microUSB power cable or optional in-vehicle 12 V charger.
In The Box:
- inReach SE+
- USB cable
- Carabiner clip
- Physical dimensions 6.8 x 16.4 x 3.8 cm with keypad and SOS door bump
- Display size 3.5 x 4.7 cm; 2.31" diag (5.9 cm)
- Display resolution 200 x 265 pixels
- Display type Transflective colour TFT
- Weight 213.0 g
- Battery Rechargeable internal lithium ion
- Battery life Up to 100 hours at 10-minute tracking mode (default); up to 75 hours at 10-minute tracking with 1-second logging; up to 30 days at the 30-minute interval power save mode; and up to 3 years in standby mode
- Water rating IPX7
- Memory/history 2 GB
- High-sensitivity receiver
- Interface USB
Maps & memory
- Preloaded maps No
- Waypoints/favourites/locations 500
- Routes 20
- Outdoor recreation features
- Camera No
- Bluetooth compatible: Yes
- Trigger an interactive SOS with 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center: Yes
- Send and receive text messages to SMS and email: Yes
- Send and receive messages with other inReach users, exchange locations: Yes
- Track and share location with friends and family on web-based MapShare® portal: Yes
- Request weather forecasts for current location and planned destination: Yes
- Virtual keyboard for custom text messaging: Yes
- Send waypoints to MapShare portal during trip: Yes
- Send route selection to MapShare portal for friends and family to see progress: Yes
- ABC-Sensors: No